Tuesday, October 21, 2008

LOCAL DEMOCRACY WEEK


BEDFORDSHIRE YOUTH CABINET PETITION LOCAL COUNCILLORS

As well as being crowned 2008 Bedford Youth Champion I took part in several other Local Democracy Week events last week. On Friday two Bedford Borough Councillors and I met 15 members of Bedfordshire Youth Cabinet to discuss their Transport Project and how to progress their recommendations.

They were a lively group as you can see in the photograph above - I am in a pink jacket in the middle receiving the Project X Petition, signed by 2,200 young people. Project X builds on the success achieved in 2007 when the Youth Cabinet secured £50,000 to spend on a Transport Token Scheme to help young people, especially those in rural areas, access positive activities outside school.

I am delighted that so many young people take a keen interest in politics and I will to continue to be an advocate for young people in my role as Bedford Youth Champion. The Youth Cabinet will be invited to the next County Council Children's Services Committee meeting in November to give a presentation on their Transport Project to members of the Committee and Council officers.

No comments: