Monday, April 6, 2009

ENGLAND'S HERITAGE - THE SOUTH COAST





West Wittering


Last week I took 3 days off to visit a friend in Lymington in the New Forest and my widowed brother in Chichester. On Thursday the weather was dull but the sun soon came out and I enjoyed some lovely coastal and country walks in the Spring sunshine. Lymington Town Quay is full of small boats which now face a serious hazard from the huge new Isle of Wight ferries sailing very close to them. I was very fortunate to visit the New Forest before its Easter invasion of tourists.

As the child of a naval family I grew up in Portsmouth and overseas and I love to return to the south coast to enjoy the sea air. Bedford is about as far inland as you can get and at least 80 miles from the coast so we are starved of sea views.

My brother took me round beautiful Chichester Cathedral, probably the only cathedral in England which has a separate tower, like Elstow Abbey. We also walked along the East Head on West Wittering Beach, owned by the National Trust. We walked around the edge of Goodwood Park, had a look at the racecourse and then had 'a flutter' on the Grand National. We backed 8 horses between us including My Will which came third but our winnings were only 50% of our stake. The bookies had a profitable day as the winner Mon Mome was a 100-1 outsider and many horses fell.

On the way home I drove through wooded West Sussex and the South Downs, which have now been declared a National Park, and stopped in Watford to help put two of my grandchildren to bed and filled up with petrol, as Watford is the cheapest town I know for petrol and always less expensive than Bedford.

No comments: