Tuesday, December 30, 2008
I'M DREAMING OF A GREEN CHRISTMAS.....
RECYCLE MORE TO HELP THE ENVIRONMENT AND CUT TAXES
Now that Christmas is over the Bedfordshire County Council Recycle Now! Team are urging people to recycle some of our 6.5 million Christmas cards and other Christmas items. Those of us who now have orange-lidded bins have no excuse not to recycle more goods. Here are a few recycling tips from the Recycle Now! Team:
* Recycle Christmas cards for charity by taking them to WH Smiths, Tesco, M&S or TKMAXX stores between 2 and 31 January 2009 or put them in your orange lidded bin.
* Recycle some of the 750 million bottles and glass containers used over Christmas in your local bottle bank or Household Waste Recycling Centre.
* Take real Christmas tree to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre for composting.
* Take unwanted clothes, household items and toys to charity shops
* Use reusable shopping bags and rechargeable batteries.
The BEAR Project (Bedfordshire Energy and Recycling Project) has announced that all the Bedfordshire local authorities - Beds County Council, Bedford Borough Council, Central Bedfordshire and Luton Borough Council have formed a partnership to deliver a 25 year residual waste management solution for their communities. 32,000 new orange lidded bins were delivered to homes in Bedford Borough before Christmas. Those who do not want these bins will continue to use orange recycling sacks.
RECYCLING TARGETS ACHIEVED
Bedfordshire has exceed stretching Government recycling targets in the first 6 months of 2008/9 by diverting 49% of municipal waste and 46% of household waste from landfill, an average of 48% overall. The 5 Household Waste Recycling Centres, which include Barkers Lane, have averaged 70% recycling rates and achieved 90% customer satisfaction levels.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!
Tomorrow I am off to Madeira on a private visit to watch their New Year Fireworks, do some levada walking and 'recharge my batteries' for 2009 so I will not be blogging again until after Sunday 11 January.
Happy New Year to you and your families