Monday, May 25, 2009

SPOTLIGHT ON WILSTEAD



Eyebrow Cottage



Wilstead Post Office



During my election campaign I have walked round Wilstead several times, knocking on doors and delivering thousands of leaflets. Wilstead is a village with a strong sense of community and lots of active village organisations including a large Women's Institute, of which I am a member, an excellent amateur dramatic Group, Wilstead Players - I am a Patron. Also there is Wilstead Children's Centre, Bowls Club, Football Club,the Brownies, P3 Walking Group, several social clubs for older people, a Lower School and Pre School, 7 farms, 3 churches etc. I gave Community Leader grants to many of these groups in 2007/8.

Wilstead is blessed with a modern village hall and a good range of shops and services, unlike Elstow and many other villages. It has a Post Office, 2 garages, Pharmacy/general store, Chinese and Indian takeaways, to name but a few. Healthwise there is a part time doctor's surgery, and a prescription and medical services provided by the new Wilstead Pharmacy, which I campaigned actively for last year
writing a strong letter to the NHS to refute false information submitted by two Bedford Pharmacies opposed to the Wilstead Pharmacy, purely for commercial reasons. On Saturday after tramping round Wilstead for 2 hours in hot weather I was delighted to find an ice cold drink in the Pharmacy to quench my thirst.

Wilstead is not a 'chocolate box' village but does have some lovely cottages tucked away in its lanes including the appropriately named Eyebrow Cottage, seen above.

The Campaign goes on and I have been working throughout the May Bank Holiday weekend, including yesterday's heatwave, when I caught the sun on the back of my neck walking round Elstow delivering letters to postal voters.

No comments: