Monday, January 26, 2009

NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS









Most New Year Resolutions are broken by the end of January but I have made two this year which I intend to keep. Firstly, after a very stressful and demanding 2008, with little personal free time I decided that I will take some time out each week to get fit and sometimes just "chill out". Secondly I need to lose some weight, a real challenge for someone who loves her food.

Therefore I have just rejoined LA Fitness in Bedford and started going to Aquacise classes last week between Council meetings. Early tomorrow morning I have a gym session with a personal trainer and will try to use the gym at least once a week in addition to the Aquacise and some morning walks.

The weight reduction and "chilling out" may prove more challenging, although I did lose 2 stone two years ago, raising £800 for the British Heart Foundation. To give me the incentive to cut down on high calorie, fattening food, last weekend I enjoyed a farewell treat by dining out in two Bedford restaurants which I had not previously visited.

On Friday three fellow councillors, Andrew McConnell (Blogging for Bedford) Peter Hand, Tom Wootton, his lovely wife Elizabeth and I dined out at Harpurs in the Broadway, celebrating Peter's 30th Birthday. We enjoyed a delicious meal and some good wine with first class, friendly service in pleasant modern surroundings.

On Saturday a friend took me out for a belated New Year dinner at the chic and trendy Four Restaurant in St. Peter's Street where the portions were very dainty and well presented but unexciting. It was half empty so maybe the Credit Crunch is beginning to bite. We had planned to eat at my friend's favourite restaurant, Santinielli's which is cheap, cheerful and noisy but it was too crowded, another sign that times are hard.

Progress reports will follow...........

No comments: